Day #1 at Primary Children's Medical Center.
We arrived Monday -- a beautiful warm Spring morning, to smiles and warm welcomes from nurses and WW, our rehab case manager who had worked with me so patiently and worked so hard to get Katie up there early. Katie's private, corner room was all ready complete with a welcome sign on the wall. Her room is directly behind the nurses' station. If you peek out to the left of her window, you see the giant "U" on the mountain. (That's for the University of Utah for you out-of-towners...) If you had a really strong arm, you could probably hit the U if you threw a rock at it. PCMC is tucked up into the mountains here.
Katie got familiar with her room, while the day nurse gave us parents a tour of the floor and the resources and amenities available to the parents. Among them: a shower, ice/water machines, food and snacks, a resource center, and even a laundry! As we returned, Katie had her first visitor, a therapy dog named Molly, that was making the rounds to the children on the floor. Katie was a little anxious about what lay ahead for her, and a friendly, furry face helped to relax her and get her comfortable.
The next goal was to order some lunch for Katie, and then have Katie and I "move in". We had been told to expect a stay of two weeks.
These two small things took the rest of the afternoon to do. So began "the flood". One after the other, with probably only 5 -10 minutes between them, nurses, doctors and therapists met with us. They introduced themselves, heard Katie's story and her symptoms, and talked about what they would be helping her do. My head was spinning; I couldn't keep track of everyone and everybody. I couldn't take it all in. As you can see in the picture, Katie also started in with therapies. It didn't matter that it was our first day -- no time was going to be wasted.
The day nurse finally came in with a grumpy face and made it all stop for a minute so we could order some food up to the room, saying that Katie hadn't eaten all day! The last doctor/nurse/therapist came and visited with us as 5pm approached. We finally were able to get some food in Katie, unpack our things, and have Alex visit in the evening. It was after dark that I was finally able to eat something down in the cafe downstairs. What a day! Katie and I were exhausted and we both slept very well that night. When I woke up the next morning, it took a minute to remember where I was. I was here, at Primary Children's Medical Center, with my daughter, getting help. I laid there for a while, as Katie slept on. A polite little flood of tears came in the quiet of the morning, as I prayed to my Father in Heaven with a heart full and brimming over with gratitude and relief for this blessing.
A flood of visitors in our room that day. A flood of compassionate and expert help available to us. A flood of emotion. The word of the day is "FLOOD". :-)
Thank goodness Katie is on board with the best "swim team and coaches" in the country:)
ReplyDeleteRemember to inhale deeply and swim, swim, swim.
We are cheering for you and know you will win the race of your life.
Much love,
The Hutchinson Family
Glad to hear that Katie is there at PCMC and getting the care that she needs! We love you guys and we continue to pray that Katie will get feeling better and get back her strength!
ReplyDeleteLove, Karen
Katie,
ReplyDeleteI've been thinking a lot about you and the struggles you have been dealing with. I can only imagine how hard it has been, but I also know that you possess amazing strength and determination. I saw that strength time and time again in marching band. You would continue to perform despite your health problem. I am sure the fighter in you will come out as you brave this new challenge.
The Kimballs are sending good thoughts and love to you and your family.
Thank you for sharing these special times with us. My mom has been out of town without internet and has been asking about Katie. She was so happy to hear that she is there with her team.
ReplyDeleteWith much love,
Gina
So glad that you have a flood of good things coming your way! We're praying for you all and hoping more good things are coming.
ReplyDeleteLove you!